Chitosan is now very much marketed as a potent weight loss supplement. At its most basic level, chitosan is a substance found in the shells of crustaceans, like crabs, lobsters and shrimps. It is extracted and taken in a form of supplement with meals and believed it encourages weight loss by binding to fat molecules, preventing the body from absorbing fat.
However, whether chitosan is safe and helpful as a diet aid still remains controversial. Numerous studies have reported chitosan really does work for weight loss, while others have reported that it doesn’t.
Regardless of what the reports have discovered or suggested, it is paramount to look at the chitosan warnings.
• There is a possibility in theory that it could block the absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins, such as Vitamins A, D, E and K. Also, chitosan may block the absorption of the essential fatty acids, like omega 3 and 6. Therefore, it necessary to be sure that you take a vitamin supplements at least an hour or so before taking the chitosan.
• Another notable chitosan warning is that never take chitosan if you have an allergy to shellfish. Just note that chitosan is derived from shellfish.
• Chitosan doesn’t get absorbed into the bloodstream. This simply means that it is largely free of the side effects that so many people experience with a number of prescription and nonprescription weight loss supplements and medication.
• Chitosan is not best for pregnant women, so avoid taking it when you’re pregnant. Also, when you are nursing or taking any medication, consult your health care professional first before taking any product that contain chitosan.
• Take chitosan with large amounts of fluid. The reason for this chitosan warning is the fact that without drinking enough liquid, the product may cause constipation. And, if intestinal discomfort or constipation occurs, discontinue the use.
• Because no extensive safety studies have been done to back up the claimed benefits of chitosan, every people must be careful and must seek for guidance from a health care professional before taking any chitosan product.
Aside from those above mentioned chitosan warnings, there are other factors that must be considered before buying chitosan based products.
First of those is the fact that the composition of chitin may vary depending on the seawater, the animal from which it is taken, and the time of year.
Always do your homework and research as much as possible before you start taking any type of supplement.